Monday, May 11, 2009

I'm totally bummed. I've been trying all spring/summer to get my flowers healthy to no avail?

I started planting petunias two years ago when I lived in italy. They always took off and did really well. Now I've moved to north dakota and tried to keep potted petunias alive but they just keep dying. I'm at a complete loss what the problem could be. They get about 3-4 hours of sun a day and I was watering them every day in italy and they did great. I've watered them every day here and it doesn't help. I've tried to skip a day of watering them, and only watering when the dirt feels dry but..no luck. The climate is very similar to italy but something seems to be different. I planted some new ones 2 days ago and the flowers are almost all completely gone and they're looking pathetic as ever. Any suggestions? Should I give up? LOL Maybe I'm not planting them correctly?

I'm totally bummed. I've been trying all spring/summer to get my flowers healthy to no avail?
You may be over watering, it really depends on your temps, your soil, and the light. I would think about once every 5 days or so. I have Petunia in pots too, I wait until they almost droop before I water them. I also feed them regularly with miracle grow all-purpose plant food. You can get it at any garden center and there are many brands. You want one that is neutral. If you are not sure ask a clerk to help you.Follow the directions on the box.


I also spray them with a mild soapy water about every 10 days. Mix just a few drops of liquid dish soap in a spray bottle of water. Mist all sides of the flowers and plant. this not only helps to keep unwanted pest away, but help to bring up humidity,%26amp; keeps the foliage clean so it can "breath"


Don't give up hang in there, try pulling back on your water till they are "asking "for it. Give them some food and keep the spent flowers pinched off to encourage new growth.


God Bless


Grandma
Reply:Maybe it is the variety but 3 to 4 hours of sun doesn't seem like a lot for petunias to me. Has it been overcast also? I think they need more sun if you are watering them regularly.


No comments:

Post a Comment