Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Can a "Crepe Myrtle" tree become dormant for a year and still be alive? Will it get leaves & flowers again?

I have two young trees, about 8-10 feet tall, with very slender trunks. I planted them about three years ago in the parkway in front of my southern California home. Normally, they both develop foliage and flowers in the Spring. This year, only one has. The other is completely barren. When I scrape it's trunk with my fingernail, it still appears green. Is there a way to determine if it is still alive? I have used the same fertilizer on both trees.

Can a "Crepe Myrtle" tree become dormant for a year and still be alive? Will it get leaves %26amp; flowers again?
That is strange. Is there any damage anywhere on the trunk? Or, are any of the branches brittle or dead? If so, I would cut back the dead wood until you reach green. This way you can see if it looks rotten inside, or if there are any insects in there.


It's hard to say, not being able to see the tree... could be a soil problem, in which case you'd want to correct it before it attacks your other tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment