Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Is it too early to plant flowers in Virginia?

I want to get my flower beds ready for spring, but I don't want to risk losing my flowers if it is too early.

Is it too early to plant flowers in Virginia?
Pansies should be OK for now, but if you're looking at Impatiens, or similar plants, you should probably wait another 3 or 4 weeks.





Nothing wrong w/ getting the beds ready though.
Reply:It all depends on what section of VA you are in. I live in southeastern VA and right now we are having beautiful spring like weather but a cold front is coming through so I am going to wait until it is over to plant any flowers. This week I have been weeding and trimming up bushes that got nipped in the cold.


A good source of info regarding when to plant is your local extension service they have master gardeners that are available to answer your questions. Check this link http://www.ext.vt.edu/offices/ to find yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment