Sunday, November 15, 2009

Name of sticker? it starts out with little purple flowers in the spring...then turns into dime size clusters?

that have tiny pin head stickers......they are taking over my lawn......they are close to the ground about 4 inches high....i'm in upper valley california

Name of sticker? it starts out with little purple flowers in the spring...then turns into dime size clusters?
Aha...you have the infamous garden thistle growing in your yard!!! They will grow taller and taller if you let them but don't let them because once the thistle produces the pretty purple flowers, it goes to seed and you know what is next!!! MORE THISTLES!! These can be killed with ROUNDUP or you can dig them up being very careful to get the taproot. I would probably go with the Roundup if you can keep from getting the Roundup on other nearby plants or grasses. Roundup will kill everything but it will also do away with those awful thistles. There are other weed killers that you can use that won't kill your grass, but since we don't know what kind of grass your lawn is, I would suggest going to the local CO OP (Farmers Co-Operative) in your area and ask them the best thing to kill thistle and other weeds like that and won't hurt your grass. I am sure there are several good products out there that will work. Good luck to you!!!!
Reply:I have the same things.. I believe they are "goat heads" and the only thing I have found to fix them is to dig them up you need to get the whole root..it takes me a long while..but so worth it..I was told that you can spray a weed killer on it but it will kill anything else it comes in contact with..


No comments:

Post a Comment