Monday, May 24, 2010

A flowering preservation method that retains color?

I want to dry some of my spring flowers, but I'm looking for a method that will help retain the colors. Pressing won't work, and neither will just air drying them. Does anyone have a technique that they have used? I want to do it at home, so don't tell me freeze drying!

A flowering preservation method that retains color?
I don't think you're going to be able to preserve the color completely. When flowers dry their color will change slightly no matter what you do. Even freeze drying leaves a slight change in color.





My recommendation would be to dry them with any method you want (see http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/aggu... for directions), then spray the flowers with a fixative (from the craft store) and then paint the flowers to a bright color again. I know it's cheating, but at least you'll have the colors you want. You'll have to be VERY careful that you don't damage the dried flowers when you paint them.


No comments:

Post a Comment